What can we say? Wine, grog & spirits are right up our alley! And talking philosophy over libations…even better! That’s why we love our community socials. Our Philosophy Think & Drinks are casual and informal, community-oriented, intellectually stimulating, and fun. You do not need a background in philosophy to enjoy & participate in these gatherings. An open mind & desire to engage in thoughtful dialogue (whether from a listening or contribution standpoint) is all that’s needed! For those who love philosophy but prefer not to partake in the libations side of things, don’t let that stop you from participating in the fun. We emphasize the think over the drink!
When & Where
Our Philosophy Think & Drinks are (typically) held on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 7pm-9pm at The Sapphire.
- Jan. 11th 2018 – View Archive
- Feb. 8th 2018 – View Archive
- Mar. 8th 2018 – View Archive
- Apr. 12th 2018 – View Archive
- May 10th 2018 – View Archive
- No June T & D
- No July T & D
- Aug. 9th 2018 – Special Topic: Moral Dimensions of Homelessness (Part 1) – View Archive
- Sept. 13th 2018 – Special Topic: Moral Dimensions of Homelessness (Part 2) – View Archive
- Oct. 11th 2018 – Special Topic: Moral Dimensions of Homelessness (Part 3) – View Archive
- Nov. 8th 2018 – View Archive
- Dec. 13th 2018
Where: The Sapphire (in the wine cave room) – (101 N. Last Chance Gulch, Helena MT 59601) OR (when the number of individuals is larger than the wine cave can accommodate) The Placer (21 N. Last Chance Gulch) – located directly across the pavilion from The Sapphire.
Cost: Free (Buy your own vino, spirits, or grog)
RSVP: Contact Marisa at #406-439-5788 or [email protected]
What Are They About & How Do They Work?
Merlin Philosophy Think & Drinks are like “Philosophy Dojos” and are all about…
- Sharing ideas & insights
- Expanding & clarifying viewpoints
- Engaging in critical & creative thinking
- Strengthening & fostering community
- Participating in meaningful dialogue
- Having fun with philosophy
- And more…
Our Merlin Think & Drink gatherings are monthly (dojo) sessions that consist of a “meeting of the minds” over snacks & libations. After nabbing goodies and seats, getting acquainted (for those new to the dojo) & settling in…the eve begins. First in order — the democratic selection of a question (about a specific topic). No topics are off-limit; no questions are too broad, narrow, abstract, or concrete. Questions are posed by participants in a “round-robin” fashion, clarified, and then voted upon collectively. Once our “avenue of philosophical pursuit” is in place, we are ready to dive into a fun night of (facilitated) philosophical discussion.