Should philosophy be confined to the walls of academia or accessible to everyone? Scott Samuelson, Professor of Philosophy at Kirkwood Community College, explores this topic and discusses how philosophy is more than just “the stuff of ivory towers” and why it is so important. In a nutshell, he claims that philosophy is crucial to a democratic society and living a full human life. We couldn’t agree more! In a delightful Q & A, Samuelson offers insightful replies to the following questions:
- Why is access to philosophy so important?
- Why is philosophy one of the goods of life?
- Why have we seen a move away from philosophical education in our society?
- What is your meaning of liberal education?
- Why is liberal education important?