Our May Think & Drink (squared) was good fun. We enjoyed a wonderful discussion about morality & law led by Merlin advisory committee member & volunteer, Ryan Aikin. Our small (but mighty) group explored:
- Is there a relationship between law & morality? Should there be?
- To what extent should judges, legislators, and other civil servants consider morality in creating & applying law?
- Natural Law and Positive Law
- Do citizens have a duty to obey laws they consider to be immoral?
- Do individuals hold any absolute rights against the government? If so, how might these rights be defined?
To prepare for our group discussion, participants read the following articles:
Thanks to the generosity & super high-tech curating skills of Jemma Z. Hazen, you can also access all of the above resources by clicking on the Merlin CCC Flipboard page!
Thank you to the Philosophy Learning & Teaching Organization (PLATO) for supporting philosophy in the community and helping us bring activities like these to the Helena community!