- This event has passed.
Philosophy Workshop: Ethical Living Through Self-Knowledge
December 9, 2018 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm MSTFree
Philosophers of the ancient world consistently describe understanding ourselves and our place in the wider world as one of the first steps toward living well. In this 3-hour “philosophy as a way of life”-inspired workshop led by special guest & Princeton scholar, David Nowakowski, PhD (Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Union College), we’ll look at some of the insights provided by Ancient Greek thinkers concerning questions of self, free-will, responsibility, happiness, and more. Some questions that will be explored include:
- What is part of myself, and what isn’t?
- What do I have control over, and what don’t I?
- How, by looking inward, can I find the freedom to live the best possible life for myself and my loved ones?
- And more…
Select readings and activities inspired by the Epicurean, Stoic, and Platonist traditions will be examined and applied with the aim of introducing participants to a variety of philosophical perspectives on “knowing thyself” and practical tools for living well. No background in philosophy is required to participate in this workshop. FREE. All ages welcome. $20 Suggested donation. Light snacks & hot tea provided. Space is limited. Learn more and reserve your spot here!
- December 9, 2018
10:00 am - 1:00 pm MST
- Event Categories:
- Community Socials, Life Enrichment & Wellness Programs, Philosophy Workshops
- Event Tags:
- applied philosophy, epicureanism, ethics, merlin ccc, philosophy, philosophy as a way of life, philosophy workshops, platonism, pwol, self-knowledge, stoicism, the good life, wellness
- Marisa Diaz-Waian
- Reeder’s Alley Interpretive & Convention Center
101 Reeder's Alley
Helena, MT 59601 United States + Google Map
Philosophy Think & DrinkJune 8 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm MDT
Philosophy Walk: Wildlife Recovery & EthicsJune 11 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm MDT
Philosophy Think & DrinkJuly 13 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm MDT